Employment Application

Q: What personal items can I bring?

A: Residents are encouraged to bring five to seven changes of clothing. They are also welcome to bring personal items such as toiletries, television, computer, radio, books, magazines, pictures, and some furniture. Some items such as extension cords, multi-plug outlets, and throw rugs are not permitted in nursing facilities.

Q: How do I get my mail?

A: Mail can be sent to: Resident’s Name
                         c/o Longhouse-Northshire
                         PO Box 177
                        Spencer, IA 51301
It is not necessary to provide a room number or specific building in the address. Packages sent via UPS or Fed Ex should be addressed to:    Resident’s Name
                           c/o Longhouse-Northshire
                          711 W 11th St.
                          Spencer, IA 51301

Q: Are laundry services provided?

A: Laundry services are provided at no additional cost. Laundry is done seven days a week. Clothing worn and sent to laundry will normally return in less than 24 hours. Clothing will be marked by the facility with discreet labels shortly after admission. Clothing should not be sent to laundry without first being marked by the facility or by family before admission.

Q: What type of activities are offered?

A: We offer a wide range of activities designed to meet the varied interests of our residents. Musical programs, movies, current events, exercise class, book club, bible study, crafts, religious services, and delicious food programs are just a small sample of the many activities we have throughout the month.

Q: Are religious services offered?

A: We have weekly non-denominational church services offered every Sunday afternoon. Catholic Mass is held in the facility the first Friday of every month. Weekly communion is also available every Friday for Catholic residents and monthly for Methodist residents.  

Q: What types of therapy are provided?

A: Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy are provided at the facility. Other therapy services are available locally and transportation will be provided to each resident in need of outside therapy services.

Q: Can I keep my own doctor while in the facility?

A: Residents are encouraged to keep their own family doctor during their stay in the facility.

Q: How do I get to medical appointments and outside medical services?

A: Free transportation is provided to any local medical appointment or medical service if we are able to safely transport the person in our facility van or by the Regional Transit Authority during normal hours of operation. Medical appointments out of town are not provided by the facility. Our social service department will aid in finding transportation to out of town appointments.  

Q: How much does it cost to stay at the facility?

A: The cost of care varies for each resident based on their particular needs, level of care and personal financial situation. Programs are available to help cover the cost of care in the facility for qualifying individuals. You are encouraged to talk to administration about your individual financial situation and service costs.

Q:  Do you offer food preferences at meals?

A:  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all provided at Longhouse-Northshire. Breakfast offers numerous options including cold cereal, hot cereal, toast, eggs, rolls, and the weekly treat of pancakes and bacon or sausage. The noon and evening meals offer a minimum of two meat and two vegetable choices to choose from along with an accompanying side dish and dessert. Snacks are available 24 hours a day at no additional cost.

Q: Are there nurses on duty 24 hours a day?

A: Each area of Longhouse-Northshire has a nurse available 24 hours a day. Nursing Assistants are also available 24 hours a day to meet any care need.

Q: Will my insurance pay for services?

A: Insurance plans including Medicare, Medicaid, Long-Term Care Policies, and Private Insurance Plans are accepted at Longhouse-Northshire to help cover the cost of care while staying at the facility. Individuals must meet their respective insurance company’s criteria to qualify for payment of service while staying in the facility.

Q: Can I leave the facility and return home?

A: Most individuals who come to the facility do return home after a short stay at Longhouse-Northshire. Some people do decide to stay long-term in our facility making this their permanent home.

Q: What options does the facility offer for making and receiving telephone calls?

A: Residents at Longhouse-Northshire have many different options available for making and receiving telephone calls.  Residents can get their own private telephone line in their room by contacting Spencer Municipal Utility or QWEST who will activate phone service for them just like in their own home.  Residents may also have personal cellular phones.  These two telephone options remain a service agreement between the person and the phone provider.  Billing for these services will be sent directly to the customer from the phone company.  Residents who have personal phones will need to bring their own telephone from home since these are not provided by the facility. The facility’s phones can be used by residents to make local calls to family,  friends, and for personal business.  Long-distance calls can be received by residents on the facility’s phones but should not be made unless a personal calling card is used or the long-distance call is approved by management.   

If you still have questions please contact us.



Nondiscrimination policy

CE Solutions Login